No. 278 - 11 November
Dear Parents and Carers,
I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with so many of you this week at our junior school parents’ evenings. I hope that you found the opportunity to look at your child’s work, and to speak with their teacher really useful. I know that the children were so excited to be able to celebrate all their achievements with you, and I hope it will spur them on! I’m looking forward to the same opportunity at Pewley next week. Please do get in touch if you didn’t manage to make an appointment; it’s such an important part of our working together.
Today in school, we’ve talked about Remembrance Day and spent time in silence thinking and praying for peace. I hope that across our community, we’re able to continue to extend kindness to one another, especially with some families from such troubled parts of the world. The children found it helpful to think about being peacemakers in school, in the playground, and in our homes; with the global situation rather overwhelming at times, it seemed easier to plan small steps that each of us can take to be kind.
Year 2 had a wonderful time on Monday, visiting St Paul’s Cathedral in London. The cathedral staff commented on how respectful and polite the children were and they all really made the most of the trip, coming back with a sense of awe and wonder at such a magnificent building, as well as a deeper understanding of the historical significance of this famous landmark. All of our trips are an important part of our creative curriculum and I’m so glad that our staff team go the extra mile to make sure they happen!
The Christmas shows are another aspect of the wider life of the school that we’re really excited about. This year, we’re thrilled to be planning live performances and real audiences instead of on film! At the juniors, all the children will be performing “The Wizard of Oz”, singing and dancing in their house groups, with the children in Year 6 taking the lead as the main cast. And at Pewley, the children will perform a Christmas musical, “The Big Little Nativity”. We will be in touch soon about ticketing arrangements, but please do be aware that we only have limited space and so it’s not always possible to invite your wider family. See below for the dates and times of the various performances so that you can start to plan ahead. For the evening performances at the juniors, children in Year 3, 4 and 5 only need to come when their house is scheduled, whereas the Y6 main cast will be on stage for all the performances.
Finally, I received a wonderful email from the Guildford Foodbank, thanking the school community for the donations at our Harvest Festivals just last week. They wrote: “Wow! What amazing generosity! Please do pass on our sincere thanks to all the children and their parents for their amazing support. We are really busy - so it all makes such a difference & means that we can continue to be generous to those in our town who are most in need. We are so grateful.”
Thank you so much!
With love, Clare
Thought of the week: Making us brave. “Moses at war” – who helps you to be brave?
HT (Y6 main cast to all performances; Y3, Y4, Y5 only attend when house is performing)
- Monday 5th Shackleton/ Nightingale Matinee 1.30 Evening 7pm (arrive 6.45)
- Tuesday 6th Shackleton/ Nightingale Evening
- Wednesday 7th Keller/ Mandela Matinee 1.30 Evening 7pm (arrive 6.45)
- Thursday 8th Keller/ Mandela Evening
- Friday Late start assembly (optional) – arrive anytime before 10.30am
- Monday 5th 9.30 am Dress Rehearsal (plus any younger siblings)
- Tuesday 6th 9.30am
- Wednesday 7th 9.30am
- Thursday 8th 9.30am
The portal to consent for the Year R to Year 2 flu vaccinations will close at 4pm on Tuesday 15 November.
If you have previously consented and wish to withdraw consent, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise.
Parent Consultations: Tuesday 15 and Thursday 17 November.
Please come to the library / office area on arrival; there will be a list showing where the parent consultations are being held.
There will be no teacher-led clubs next week, beginning 14 November, owing to the parent consultations.
Performance dates this year are: Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th December – all at 9.30am.
If you are planning to bring small children with you, please join us for the dress rehearsal on Monday 5th December at 9.30am. More information to follow.
We have a busy time ahead, with lots of info for you:
- This week your children should have come home with raffle tickets for the Christmas fair, which will take place at Pewley on 3rd December between 2pm and 4.30pm. Please return money and ticket stubs to Ruth in the office.
- Please also take a look at the donation items we need and bring in anything you have spare from w/c 21st November. It’s the perfect time for a clear out of any unwanted toys or books before Christmas!
- Last week, your children were given an A3 piece of paper for the Christmas Art Competition. If you need a new piece of paper, Ruth has plenty in the office. Please hand in all entries by 21st November
- This week, your reps posted sign up forms in each year WhatsApp group. We would love helpers to set up, help on stalls and clear up, so please sign up if you can.
Have a lovely weekend.
Sally and Eleanor x
Dates for your diary:
- 21 November: deadline to hand in entries for the Christmas Art competition
- 3 December: Christmas Fair 2-4.30pm
Dates for the diary
- Y3 & Y4 Cake sale. Please see HTSC News for details
- Y5 & Y6 Film Night - Friday 18 November - letters going home and ParentMail
Thursday Dance Club will be open for Y3 and Y4
- Year 4 Netball club - Monday 14 November
- Dodgeball - next Friday 18 November
Y6 Heights and Weight Measurements
Please complete the E-consent form by the end of Friday 11 November, do this for your child in year 6, even if you do not wish your child to take part. Refer to the ParentMail for details (being held on Wednesday 24 November).
Y3 – Y6 Please complete Nasal Flu Consent by Tuesday 15 November
Please complete Nasal Flu consent if you have not done it already, even if you don’t want your child to receive the Nasal Flu immunisation. Please refer to the ParentMail for details (being held on 21 November).
Christmas Lunch – please complete the form by the deadline of Friday 18 November.
If your child has borrowed an HT competition t-shirt, please can you return it? There are some large boxes opposite the office where all HT kit can dropped off.
We are missing lots of netball and football kits. Please look in your child's bag as you may have sent it in but it's remained at the bottom of their school bag.
We have lots of fixtures this week and it would be disappointing for the children involved to be unable to wear the school kit.
Holy Trinity fixtures and Clubs w/c 14/11/22
Monday 14 November - Y5 & Y6 Netball Match v QE - HOME - Laura
- The teams have been sent out via ParentMail.
- YEAR 4 NETBALL CLUB IS CANCELLED FOR THIS MATCH
Wednesday 16 November - Y5 Netball Match v Northmead - AWAY - Laura
- The teams have been sent out via ParentMail. Please collect from Northmead at 4.30pm
Thursday 17 November - Y5 & Y6 Girls Football Tournament - George Abbot - Nick
- The teams have been sent out via Parent Mail. Please collect from George Abbot school at 5.30pm
Week 1 menu for week beginning 14 November
Guildford Homestay – hosts needed - see flyer below.
Merrist Wood – Festive Animal Fun Day - see flyer below.